Beef and beet stir-fry with greens
Beef and beet comes to life in this tasty stir fry with the help of salty, intensely flavoursome black bean and garlic sauce.
- 250 g baby beetroots trimmed, leaves reserved
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 clove garlic finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger finely sliced
- 400-500 g lean beef e.g. rump steak, fat removed, sliced
- ½ cup black bean and garlic sauce check label if eating gluten-free
- 200 g broccolini cut into even-sized florets
- 150 g green beans cut into bite-sized pieces
- steamed basmati rice
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 lime quartered
- Halve the baby beetroots (or quarter if they are large) and simmer in water until tender (about 15 minutes). Reserve ¾ cup cooking liquid, then drain beets and set aside until ready to stir-fry.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the sesame oil in a wok or large pan on medium heat and sauté the red onion, garlic and ginger for 3-4 minutes until softened and fragrant. Remove from the wok and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok on medium high heat and sear beef for 3-4 minutes until browned and tender. Add onion mixture along with beets, reserved cooking liquid, beet leaves and black bean sauce. Stir to combine.
- Lay the broccolini and beans on top and cover to steam for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are bright green. Gently toss together and serve over rice.
- Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds and a squeeze of fresh lime.
If eating gluten-free, check the label on the black bean and garlic sauce. This recipe comes from the June/July issue of NADIA magazine.