Barbequed Lime and Chilli Crayfish
Crayfish (or rock lobster) is an absolute treat so here is a delicious recipe to make the most of it!
- 1 live crayfish
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 red chilli finely chopped
- 1 lime finely grated zest
- 1 ½ tablespoons melted butter
- 1 pinch salt
- Use a sharp, heavy knife to split the crayfish straight down the middle lengthways (after it has been put to sleep). Remove the mustard coloured liver.
- Mix all other ingredients together and brush over flesh of crayfish. Heat a barbeque or grill plate on medium heat. Place crayfish halves, shell side down first, on the hot plate for 3-4 minutes (the shells will start to turn red), then turn over to flesh side down and cook a further 3 minutes.
- Tip: If you can’t get hold of a live crayfish, you can use a pre-cooked one – brush flavoured butter on the flesh and cook flesh side down for only a couple of minutes.
When cooking beautiful seafood like this It’s best to keep it simple so here is my Barbequed Lime and Chilli Crayfish recipe. It is quick and super easy to make, just be careful not to overcook it. Put the live cray in the freezer for at least 30 minutes to put them to sleep before putting a sharp, heavy knife through their head between the eyes. The mustard coloured liver can be eaten raw, used in sauces or mayonnaise. It’s considered a delicacy to many for good reason!