Little chicken skewers
Skewers are a great thing to make when entertaining – there’s no limit to what you can put on them, and they’re super easy for guests to eat.
- 3 tablespoons cold-pressed avocado oil 3 tablespoons we used Grove
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced coriander root 1 tablespoon
- 1 clove garlic 1 clove small, minced
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest ½ teaspoon or 1 tsp finely sliced kaffir lime leaf
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric ¼ teaspoon
- 200 g skinless chicken breast 200 grams
- toothpicks pre-soaked in water to prevent burning, small pack
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce check label if eating gluten free
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
- Place avocado oil, coriander root, garlic, zest and turmeric in a shallow dish and mix.
- Cut chicken widthways into thin slices, then cut longer slices in half. Season chicken with a little salt and add to garlic and turmeric marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- To make dipping sauce, place all ingredients in a small bowl or jar. Mix well (or shake jar) and pour into a small dipping bowl.
- Take the soaked toothpicks and thread a piece of chicken onto each one, using a ‘running stitch’. This enables chicken to cling to toothpick.
- Cook skewers in batches in a preheated frying pan over medium heat (or on barbecue plate) for 1 minute on each side or until cooked through. The chicken will cook very quickly as it is thinly sliced. Serve with the dipping sauce.
- You could put chicken on skewers, return to dish of marinade, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Marinate these skewers overnight if you can for extra flavour. Avocado oil is perfect for grilling and other high-heat cooking. It has a high smoke point, meaning it won’t break down when it gets hot like some other oils can. For some other skewer ideas, check out this haloumi and chorizo recipe or tasty BBQ prawns.