Cheat’s shrimp gumbo with pesto
If you’ve never tried gumbo before, this easy recipe is the perfect excuse!
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Course Main, Soups and Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 tablespoon
- 2 cloves garlic 2 cloves finely chopped
- 1 onion 1 diced
- 1 red chilli 1 seeds removed, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika 1 teaspoon
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes 2 tins
- 1 can red kidney beans 1 tin rinsed and drained
- 250 g cooked shrimps or small prawns 250 g
- sea salt
- 2-3 tablespoons pesto 2-3 tablespoons
- crusty bread to serve omit for gluten free
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the garlic, onion, red chilli and smoked paprika for 3-4 minutes over a medium heat until soft and fragrant.
Add tomatoes and beans and simmer for 5 minutes, then add the shrimps and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
Season well with sea salt and cracked pepper and stir through the pesto.
Serve warm with crusty bread for mopping up the juices, if desired.
Warming, spicy and wonderfully smokey, a bowl of gumbo is my ultimate idea of comfort food. I’ve given it a bit of a fresh boost by stirring through a couple of spoonfuls of pesto. The bright notes of basil, pine nuts and lemon pair beautifully with the rich flavours of the gumbo. My Homemade Pesto is the perfect fit for this dish – all you need is a handful of ingredients, a food processor and 10 minutes!
Serve with my husband’s amazing Kumara Bread or my easy peasy No Knead Seed Bread (or skip the bread to keep it gluten-free). Happy eating!
This recipe is from the June/July issue of NADIA magazine.
Photography by: Vanessa Lewis.