Brussels sprout slaw with apple, fennel and hazelnuts
This has got to be one of my favourite salad recipes. Crunchy, sweet, nutty and with creamy dressing, this is exactly how slaw should be in my book!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise*
- ¼ cup natural unsweetened yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard*
- ½ teaspoon liquid honey
- 15 Brussels sprouts halved and sliced as thinly as possible (I used a mixture of purple and green)
- 2 Granny Smith apples peel on, sliced into thin matchsticks
- 1 large fennel bulb sliced as thinly as possible (reserve fronds to garnish)
- 3 tablespoons hazelnuts roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fennel fronds roughly chopped
Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Season with freshly ground pepper and a pinch of salt.
Combine Brussels sprouts, apple and fennel with half the hazelnuts and half the chopped fennel fronds in a large bowl. Pour over dressing and gently toss. Sprinkle with remaining hazelnuts and fennel fronds. Serve.
*Check label if eating gluten-free
This recipe is perfect for the winter and spring months when you’re craving something fresh but want to stay seasonal with your ingredients. I’ve used purple and green Brussels sprouts in this recipe, but it’s totally fine to just go with green if that’s what available to you.
Drizzle with creamy yoghurt, mustard and honey dressing and serve with…well, just about anything you want!
Think succulent Roast Chicken with Caramelised Garlic and Onions, sticky and sweet Ginger-Beer Pork Belly or delicious Meatball Sub Sammies.
This recipe is from the August/September issue of NADIA magazine.
Photography by: Todd Eyre.